Thursday, October 15, 2009

Progress, or the lack thereof

Anyone who thinks I'm some kind of "leader" or inspiration or even facilitator has got to be out of their mind - and you know who you are. ;)

It has been such a struggle just to get back to where my daily chores actually get done daily - and I'm still not there. Part of this is lack of inertia; it's so much easier to sit here than to get up and actually work. Part is pure laziness. Part is physical limitations. And part is the sheer volume of "daily chores".

I sat down last night and made a list of things that needed to be done by 8:00am in order for me to feel ready to start the day, along with estimates of time needed for each step. It added up to 3 hours and 10 minutes. Sorry, I am NOT starting my day at 4:50 just so I can "start my day" at 8 without a sense of already being behind. So this morning I got up at 6:00 and got to work on the list to see how long it would take me to finish it. It's now 10 after 9 and this blog post is part of the next to last item (the last item is starting laundry which doesn't take long but the sky is still looking like rain despite assertions to the contrary by the weatherman, so I'm waiting for proof before going out on that limb). I did spend some time just sitting and chatting, and I did drive the girls to the bus stop and got a coke at Sonic, so those took up at least half an hour. Once I finish this post and write one for my personal blog I'll have no excuse (no good one anyway) to sit and fiddle with the computer instead of cleaning.

I have made a teensy tiny bit of progress in the cleaning arena in the last couple of days though. The other day I bought an actual mop, the kind with a bunch of string for a mop head. I have 2 kinds of wet Swiffers, a steam mop, and a scrubber on a pole, but for one reason or another none of those were quite cutting it on these floors. The good news is that this mop does seem to work beautifully on most of the tasks I put it to. The bad news is that it doesn't get into corners or crevices, much of the floor is too stained or damaged for it to make a great difference in appearance, and there are some spots that still require the scrubber or scraper. The worse news is that in its first day out yesterday I managed to get the string loops so tangled that it's difficult to use now. However, I *did* get most of the back hallway floor mopped (except for the edges where it wouldn't reach) AND I used it to wash the walls too. These are old fashioned wood paneled walls painted white (where the paint hasn't been peeled off) and they were *filthy* from kids' messy hands and in a few places crayons or pencils. I still need to do some detail cleaning in the crevices of the paneling and the edges of the floor, and try some polish on the floor, but what I did get done is a significant improvement.

So here I am, with a lot of daily things and most computer things out of the way, so it's time to get to work. Oh look, one task has just been decided for me. A shipment of frozen meat arrived (mom likes ordering such things) and now I have to reorganize my freezer which will also require defrosting it. There goes the rest of my morning. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment